Even the most upbeat and optimistic person can be affected by stress every once in a while. Problems add up, things become too much to handle and you reach a point where you feel like you’re ready to just shut down.
While the following methods may not solve your problems, they may help you calm down and get ready to face them head on.
Courtesy of Ellen Breslau of grandparents.com, here are 5 ways to relax in 30 seconds or less:
1. Laugh. Studies have shown it releases tension, reduces blood pressure, and can even lower your blood sugar levels.
2. Eat an orange, or anything else with vitamin C. Which mostly means other types of fruit, like blueberries or strawberries. Studies have found foods that are high in vitamin C can lower your blood pressure and calm you down.
3. Go outside. A recent study in Scotland found that being in nature helps you relax, even if it’s just a tree-lined street. And a study in 2010 showed that walking around in fresh air can boost your mood in less than five minutes.
4. Rub on some rose oil. A recent study in Thailand found it lowers blood pressure and slows down your breathing. And it’s not just because of the smell. It even worked when people wore masks and couldn’t smell it.
5. Walk into another room. A 2011 study at Notre Dame found that when you change your environment, your brain essentially resets itself. So if you’re stressed about something, just walk into another room and see if it helps.
My own personal recommendation for tackling stress? Get lost in something and distract yourself. A sport, a video game, a TV Show, or a household chore.
However, don’t get too distracted and put your problems off. It’s important to take care and face them head on.
– Mark Davis