You may remember a few months ago, Samsung was forced to recall their Galaxy Note 7 phone after only being on store shelves for a week. The reason?
…well… they were known to explode without warning.
Samsung is now back in the spotlight after the owner of a Galaxy J5 experienced a similar problem.
“[…]she noticed the phone was very hot after she asked her four-year-old son to pass it over during a family gathering at her home. She said she threw the phone away when she realized it had “swollen up” and smoke was coming out. […] The phone then caught fire and the back blew off.” – Associated Press
While Samsung has felt the brunt of most of these incidents happening to be their own phones, almost any phone or device with a lithium ion battery is prone to spontaneously combusting.
Back in March, a woman’s iPhone burst into flames while watching a movie during her flight.
Given the proper conditions/malfunctions, any device with a lithium ion battery could potentially burn your house down.
Think about that if you happen to sleep with your phone next to you.