The father of a 19 year old who died in 2015 after drinking Monster Energy is now suing the manufacturer. Dustin Hood suffered a cardiac arrhythmia while playing basketball and he’s believed to have downed three large 24-ounce cans of the “Mega Monster Energy” drink. That’s more than 700 mg of caffeine in 24 hours, which is more than recommended. Generally 400mg is considered safe for adults.
The suit’s case notes claim the amount he drank would be equivalent to chugging 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola and says that others have also suffered cardiac arrest after “acute consumption” of the energy drink.
Three giant cans in 24-hours.. perfectly healthy, right?
Cover photo credit: Han Myung-Gu / Zuffa LLC / Getty