Barrie Police have seized various prohibited weapons, antique firearms and ammunition after information came in that a resident had loaded weapons strewn around his residence.
On Sunday, March 5th, 2017 at 5:00pm Police received information that a male residing at an address on Yonge Street, in the City of Barrie, had various unregistered long guns, handguns, ammunition and swords in his home. The complainant advised a sawed off shotgun was loaded and sitting on the arm of the couch with ammunition laying throughout the house. The male resident also had a cane with a removable sword in his possession. A short time later, the Tactical Support Unit attended the house and placed the male under arrest without incident. The male did not have a licence to possess firearms or ammunition.
Police seized several items, which included:
- One sawed off shotgun
- Five loaded long guns
- Three unloaded long guns
- 20 antique guns
- Two mini cannons
- One load bearing vest full of ammunition
- An excessive amount of ammunition
- One cane with removable sword
The 57-year-old Barrie male has been charged with:
- Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon
- Careless Use of Firearm, Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Two counts of Careless Storage of a Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
The accused male was held for a bail hearing and will reappear in count on Tuesday, March 7th, 2017. Detectives are still processing the seized property and additional charges are pending.