(TOWN OF PENETANGUISHENE, ON) – On Friday April 21, 2017 at approximately 12:10 a.m., an officer from the Southern Georgian Bay Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) observed a motor vehicle travelling in excess of the posted 60 km/h speed limit on Highway 93 in the Town of Midland.
The speeding vehicle was eventually stopped on Highway 93 near the Town of Pe netanguishene where the officer determined that the female driver had earlier consumed alcohol. As the officer continued with the investigation, the female driver became combative and the officer was assaulted. This escalation of assaultive behaviour continued as the female driver also made attempts to disarm the officer. It was only after the officer was able to call for assistance that arriving officers were able to assist with the ongoing incident. The female driver was subsequently arrested and transported to the Southern Georgian Bay OPP Detachment for further investigation.
The female driver, Amy Lynn BERGIE (age 19) of Penetanguishene, Ontario has been charged with:
- Assault a Peace Officer (2 counts) contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
- Assault with Intent to Resist Arrest contrary to the criminal Code of Canada
- Disarming a Peace Officer contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
- Speeding 1-49 km/h over posted limit contrary to the Highway Traffic Act
- Novice Driver – B.A.C. above zero contrary to the Criminal Code of Canada
The accused has been held for a Bail Hearing that was scheduled to take place today at the Ontario Court of Justice located in Barrie.