You’ve heard right? staring at the solar eclipse today could lead to serious eye-sight issues. You know, like going blind!
There are different methods to watch the sun safely today, one of them is a fun arts & crafts project which has been shared by our friends at the Canada Space Agency needs just an empty cardboard box, or shoe box, and a few small items listed below. This handy little box will allow you to see the moon crossing over the sun without completely blinding you.
– Open the box and using tape cover up one of the inner sides with the white paper.
– Cut two holes in the opposite side of the white paper, side by side and at least 10cm apart (one for the sun and the other to look in).
– Cover the sun hole with aluminum foil and tape it in place
– Grab the pin and poke a small hole in the foil
– Seal the box tightly
– Decorate, if you like
1. Cardboard box, shoebox or long rectangular shape works best. The longer the box, the larger the projected image of the sun will be.
2. White paper
4. Aluminum foil
5. A pin
Using the projector:
– Turn your back to the sun
– Look through the eye hole and try to position yourself so that you see a projection of the sun on the white paper
– When the moon crosses over the sun you will see a shadow cover the sun.
Photo Credit: NASA/Canada Space Agency